Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Baseball with the Astronauts

All of the staff at the Goddard Space Center that worked on the Hubble Service Mission were invited to an Oriols game with the astronauts so Ken invited me and I invited my dear old buddy Timmy to come. Ken showed Tim around the space center and we toured the Goddard facilities and saw the clean rooms. We met Mike Massimino first in the center and Michael Good (nicknamed Bueno) came shortly after. The others didn't make it until way later because of a flight delay from Dallas and missed most of the game. If I had met them about 10 years ago, I probably would have considered pursuing being an astronaut further because at one point in time I really wanted to be an astronaut. I was really struck by how physically fit they were and how bright and friendly as well. I was honestly impressed at how they were not cocky or "too cool" to be meeting us. I got all of them to sign a baseball that I have in a case on my shelf :)


Timmy as an astronaut


This is a picture of them taken in space, notice Megan's hair floating hehe


Ken showed us the Goddard Space Center and this is a huge amplifier in a room which tests the instruments and equipment to see if they can endure the sound of the takeoff

This is Mike Massimino, he was super friendly and one of my favorites

Although.. Megan was baisedly my favorite, being the only woman on the team. She was the one to capture the Hubble with a mechanical arm, I told her that it takes the finess of a woman to be able to do so.


This is John Grunsfeld, captain of the team, he considers the Hubble his baby.

No comments: