Friday, May 15, 2009

Visiting Grandpa

Since I was in the area and didn't know when I would be able to see grandpa again, I decided to stay in Florida a few extra days and head over to Naples to grandpa's house. Despite a bit of resistance on Peggy's part, I arrived at grandpa's on tuesday. On the bus I met a young chap from England who worked as an architect in Valencia, Spain and had just traveled litearlly all over the world, spending time in Asia, Africa, South America and finishing out his trip in Florida heading north to New York. He had been traveling for over 6 months and only ran into trouble with theft in anywhere but Lima, Peru of course.. everyone get's stuff stolen from them in Lima.. Unfortunately I lost his name and he never friended me on facebook, it would've been cool to meet up with him in Europe sometimes.

Grandpa and his assistant, Debbie, picked me up and we headed to Spanky's restaurant for lunch. I think that Grandpa was really happy to see me because he was acting really silly, he had lamb chops for lunch and as he was eating he said he felt bad for the little baby lambs that he was eating and then began baaaing in the middle of the restaurant. It cut me off guard because I had never really heard him say something so spontaneous and silly before and I laughed hysterically. Peggy put up with me visiting but it clearly was not what she would've preferred. Either way, Grandpa and I spent the next several days eating out and lounging about on the lanai, we both took plenty of naps. My favorite part of the trip was a chess game we played with his fancy chess set, he was pretty sharp for the most part but forgot what some of the pieces did, trying to have pawns move in all directions like a queen and so forth. Eventually I moved into a position so that he would be able to 'beat me' but he didn't win for real of course. We called Lauren in Germany for her birthday and since we couldn't get a hold of her, we sent her a video saying happy birthday that we recorded with my webcam.

This would be the last time I would see him and I would be the last one in the family to see him while he was still doing well.

God bless you Grandpa, may you rest in peace

No comments: